The Province of Prince Edward Island announced its endorsement of the P.E.I. Watershed Strategy on June 17. The program will ensure meaningful watershed enhancements and protection.
“The P.E.I. Watershed Strategy is the result of a strong partnership between the Island’s Watershed Alliance and the provincial government,” said provincial Minister of Communities, Land and Environment, Robert Mitchell. “The strategy provides a road map for us going forward as we work to improve watershed management across the province.”
The strategy will act as a guide for individuals, community groups, businesses, and government agencies involved in the conservation and restoration of watersheds. It provides direction for government and watershed groups looking to work together towards achieving long and short term environmental goals.
“Today marks an important day for watershed management on Prince Edward Island,” said Dale Cameron, the chair of the P.E.I. Watershed Alliance. “It is extremely pleasing to see the completion of the P.E.I. Watershed Strategy and we emphasize the value of partnerships in reaching this point.”
Included among the objectives of the strategy are:
- Ensuring watersheds provide sustainable quantities of clean, safe water;
- Enhancing watershed ecosystems;
- Increasing capacity of individuals, organizations, and industries to take responsibility for protecting and managing watershed ecosystems;
- Enhancing partnerships to empower engagement on watershed management; and
- Increasing public awareness.