News

Collective Waiver Granted for Flood Affected Homes in Gatineau, Que.

By Water Canada 10:10AM November 14, 2017

402


0


Read Later

Ville de Gatineau has received a positive response from Quebec’s ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Occupation du territoire (MAMOT) to its request for a collective waiver. That waiver is for the reconstruction of flood affected homes considered total losses owing to the spring flooding in May 2017.

During the spring floods, 541 residences were evacuated by Gatineau’s Service de sécurité incendie. As well, 1160 were assisted by the Red Cross. The provincially approved waiver affects 862 residences around rue Jacques-Cartier and rue Moreau, and rue Riviera, and boulevard Hurtubise. According to the municipality, the waiver was approved in order to avoid the disruption of the existing urban fabric by granting a mass permit for the reconstruction of principal residences affected by the flooding.

“This is excellent news for everyone affected in the flooded areas. I want to thank the government of Quebec, and in particular Martin Coiteux, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Land Occupancy, and Minister of Public Security, as well as the Member for Chapleau, Marc Carrière, for having heard the call from Gatineau,” said Gatineau Mayor Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin. “We were able to count on their full attention at every stage of managing this crisis. This announcement will make it possible to rebuild several homes, and will have a significant impact on the residents of the hard-hit Jacques-Cartier–Moreau and Riviera-Hurtubise neighbourhoods.”

Ville de Gatineau will communicate with every resident who requested a demolition permit through its Service de l’urbanisme et du développement durable. Concerned residents must obtain the necessary authorizations from Gatineau before January 20, 2019. At October 31, 110 demolition permits had been issued. Gatineau also issued 232 renovation permits.

“I am very happy for the people of Gatineau who went through a terrible time as a result of the spring floods. This collective waiver will enable many of them to remain in their neighbourhood and thereby avoid the destruction and devitalization of two of our city’s major sectors,” said Marc Carrière, Member for Chapleau and Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Education, Recreation and Sport, and the Minister responsible for Higher Education.

Feature image credit: P199

Affected flooding areas in Gatineau, plan moreau.

Affected flooding areas in Gatineau, plan hurtubise.

Would you recommend this article?

Suggested News Articles

National, NewsApr. 06, 2018
Read Later

Flash Flood, Water Contamination Warnings to Canadian Smartphones

Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada has released an emergency notification app, expanding the National Public Alerting System (NPAS) to include smartphones and other such wireless devices. Alert Ready will…
Atlantic Canada, NewsMar. 23, 2018
Read Later

New Brunswick Flood Forecast Data Goes Mobile with New App

A new app provides New Brunswickers with access to flood forecast data for the St. John River basin on their mobile devices. The River Watch Mobile app was launched by…
News, OntarioMar. 05, 2018
Read Later

Prov. Disaster Recovery Assistance for Flood-Affected in Chatham-Kent

Ontario has activated the Disaster Recovery Assistance for Ontarians program in flood-affected areas in the communities of Chatham and Thamesville after extensive flooding throughout the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. The floods…

Comments

0