In preparation for the Regional Utility Water Services line that will be bringing water from Cold Lake, Alberta to the Town of Bonnyville, changes have been undertaken at the Cold Lake Water Treatment Plant.

The Water Treatment Plant upgrades are required to accommodate the treatment and distribution of additional water required to service the Bonnyville, while still maintaining the level of service required for the Cold Lake.

Upgrades to the plant include a new membrane train, new clear-well, new transfer pumps, new raw water pumps with pump room, new utility room, new standby generator with generator room, chlorine cylinder storage room expansion, intake screen upgrade, new electrical throughout the building, and HVAC upgrade.

In order to accommodate the additional features, the water treatment plant building will be expanded on the north and south sides. It will also add a second floor to incorporate new office space and a meeting room.

“When we realized the building needed to expand its footprint, we really wanted to make sure the design of the building would suit all the other enhancements along the lakeshore,” said Cold Lake Mayor Craig Copeland. “When the first design came in, it was a metal-clad box, so we sent that back to the table. There are a lot of residents in that area who will be staring at this building right next to the lake, so we wanted to make sure it didn’t become an eyesore.”

At a price tag of $19,583,036, the upgrade construction is 90 per cent funded by the federal and provincial governments, with the M.D. of Bonnyville and the Town of Bonnyville handling the remaining 10 per cent.

There will be no changes in the treatment of the water received by residents of Cold Lake. The upgrades to the Water Treatment Plant are expected to be complete in spring 2020.

See also  North Okanagan Receives $24M for Wastewater Recovery Project

Image Credit: City of Cold Lake

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your name here
Please enter your comment!