Water Canada presents Downstream: A speed networking event that brings current and future generations of water industry professionals together to cultivate an inclusive, diverse, and thriving water sector.
How does Downstream work?
Early career professionals and students are personally invited by program directors and industry organizations in partnership with Water Canada magazine to attend a 2-3 hour event that provides the opportunity to learn from and network with experts representing different streams of Canada’s water sector. The event is broken down into micro sessions: roundtable discussions facilitated by experienced water professionals where students engage in brief discussions aimed at addressing three key questions in relation to the table’s predetermined topic:
What are the trends in this stream?
What are the challenges?
What are the opportunities for early career professionals?
Students cycle from table to table, getting the opportunity to hear from experts in different sectors, ask questions about opportunities, and create networking opportunities that will help propel them on their future career path.
Notetakers are also stationed at each table, and the questions and feedback students provide will be added to a working industry report designed to provide guidance to industry organizations looking to attract and retain young talent.
What are the goals of Downstream?
- Students will come away with key contacts and information that will provide direction and opportunities for career growth
- A better understanding of potential career paths that are available to them
- Opportunity to connect with other early career professionals
- Industry professionals will gain valuable insights to better attract and retain young talent
- Engage with future generations of water sector leaders, ultimately learning what motivates and excites new graduates as they choose areas of specialty
If you are interested in attending or sponsoring future Downstream events, please reach out to [email protected] for more information.